44th Annual Teaching Assistant Conference
Monday and Tuesday, September 25–26, 2017
PRE-REGISTRATION IS NOW CLOSED.
Limited SAME DAY REGISTRATION will be available in Dickson Court South on Monday, Sept. 25 from 7:45-8:45 am,
and Powell Courtyard on Tuesday, 7:45-8:45 am
Each year the OID TA Training Program organizes a conference designed to provide pedagogical training and resource information for both new and continuing TAs. This year, the conference is expanding to two days—the Monday and Tuesday of Week 0. The conference will kick off with a complimentary breakfast during registration and an informative resource fair that connects TAs with campus resources essential for undergraduate teaching. We will start the first day with a keynote lecture by expert faculty to introduce you to UCLA's undergraduates and their needs. Throughout both days, TAs will have the opportunity to select six sessions from a variety of specialized workshops and expert panels on topics ranging from Lesson Planning and Classroom Management to Preparing a Teaching Portfolio. On day two, we will provide lunch, while you listen and ask questions to a panel of Distinguished Teaching Award-winning faculty and TAs. They will answer your questions about not just surviving the first quarter of teaching, but excelling in the classroom. We will close the second day with complimentary coffee and sweets, as well as a raffle for prizes from businesses throughout Westwood. Don't miss it!
- Learn strategies for the first day of class, lesson planning, and assessing and grading your students.
- Ask experienced TAs and professors your questions
- Discuss how to lay the foundations for successful student writing, including grading and giving constructive feedback
- Learn strategies for teaching and grading problem-solving in math and the sciences
- Find out about leading dynamic discussions and labs
- Develop cross-cultural communication and conflict resolution skills
- Work on your teaching portfolio or teaching philosophy statement
- And more!!
2017 TA Conference Schedule
- Even if you are not going to be a TA this coming year, as a UCLA graduate student, you are welcome to attend the conference in preparation for future teaching assignments.
- Workshop titles and descriptions can be found in the MORE INFORMATION section below.
190 Powell Library
Campus Mail Code: 156004